In his second letter to the Thessalonian church, the Apostle Paul concluded by asking them to pray for him and his partners in gospel mission: “Finally, brothers, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honored, as happened among you” (2 Thessalonians 3:1).
As Aaron and I begin our church planter residency in Charlotte, NC, we are reminded over and over again how much we are dependent upon the grace of God for every step we and our families take. In the spirit of Paul’s request, we ask for prayer as well. If the Lord leads you, I’ve written down a few brief thoughts that may help you pray more specifically for us:
- For God’s guidance as we prepare to plant a new church. In Matthew 16, Jesus promised to build His church, and the gates of Hell would not prevail against it (v. 18). God is already on mission on Wilmington, and we’re not starting anything – we’re just humbled that we can join His work! But, we need much wisdom and discernment to follow the Spirit’s leading so that we might bear good fruit as we pursue this particular task.
- Unity in our pastoral team (Aaron and I) as we make decisions, pray and build together. Also for increased unity and fellowship between our families and the future core team God is pleased to give us.
- For our families – for our wives and children as they begin a new homeschooling adventure during our time in Charlotte. Also that God would grant us and our children meaningful relationships here, as well as peace, patience, understanding as our families make repeated transitions.
- For God’s financial provision. As missionaries, both of our families are raising funds to meet our monthly budget from now until the launch of the church in Fall 2018. Pray that God would continue to God meet our financial needs (as He so faithfully has!) so we can be freed up to plan for new church.
- Greater love and unity in our marriages; that our marriages would be strengthened amidst the busyness of this season of life.
- Perseverance, clarity of thought, and a sharpened focus as Aaron and I study for and take our ordination exams this month.
Thank you so very much for your commitment to pray for us. Your prayers will indeed insure that the word of the Lord will speed ahead and be honored in Wilmington, NC!